Tomorrow is the big day. Brain surgery. It sounds almost ridiculous, and its hard to believe that this is my current life sometimes. Just over two weeks ago I was a perfectly healthy person with headaches. Well okay, I have a thyroid disorder, allergies, and vision problems - but aside from those conditions nothing was life threatening. Sadly, I now have something life threatening to worry about.
This past week went by in a blur as I wrapped everything up for work and prepared for the day of surgery. David's mom came into town on Thursday, my dad arrived on Saturday, and my mom and step-dad came today. We hung out at home for most of the day today before heading to the 5pm service at The Rock followed by a family dinner at Pho Point Loma. (Note - My mom called me to warn me a few days ago that hospitals don't usually have Vietnamese food, so I better load up on pho! Luckily I already assumed this.) :)
Beautiful Layout from My Friend Christine
Schedule
The schedule for tomorrow is as follows:
- 5:30am - admitted to the hospital (Thornton Hospital at UCSD)
- 6:15am - MRI
- 7:30am - surgery begins, should last 4 hours
- 5:00pm - the neuro-oncologist is coming over to answer questions from my family
They estimate that I will be in the ICU for a couple days before being moved to a lower level of care for another day or so before being discharged to go home and recover. If I'm feeling well enough I will work from home the week after surgery, and if not I will just sleep the week away until the surgical wounds are healed.
Keith Starting the Miles for Mokie Sign Trend
I have only had one surgery in my life (septoplasty in 2006) and have never broken a bone, so I'm really sensitive and fearful of pain. While the headaches themselves are really painful and would have driven me to the ER if they had ever lasted more than a minute, they are something I have learned to withstand and suffer through. I am terrified of experiencing a new kind of pain when I wake up from the anesthesia, and throughout the course of my recovery.
Bruce Showing Support from Arizona
When I had my septoplasty I remember coming to and being cold. Soon after I was taken home where I was given painkillers and put to bed, and I never experienced pain over the next four days that I was home. I was never awake for more than a couple hours at a time, and essentially slept my way through recovery. I hope this surgery goes that way too.
What You Can Do
There are a number of things you can do to support me tomorrow and throughout my recovery and treatment. The number one thing I would like you to do is pray. Please pray for me and my family.
Christopher's Bib Dedication
Please Pray
The things that I am praying for are:
- Finding peace in the love of my family, friends, and God that will allow me to remain calm in the hours leading up until my surgery. (I'm really afraid of having a panic attack in the MRI. I was shaking with nerves the first time, and at that point I didn't even think I had something seriously wrong with me. I also wasn't an hour away from brain surgery ....)
- A successful surgery with no complications or pain
- A biopsy that reveals that my tumor is Grade 1 (least aggressive)
- A quick recovery that helps me keep my spirits up
- The ability for my loved ones to find comfort in each other and their faith so they don't worry and suffer too much during this time
- A treatment plan that is short and successful (currently they estimate 6 weeks of radiation and 1-2 years of oral chemo) and allows me to live a 'cancer-free' life full of hope
- The ability to get through this and have children some day
- The ability to get through this and have a long happy life with David
Log Your Miles
The doctor said that I probably won't be able to run for six weeks following surgery, and I anticipate that it will be much longer considering my radiation will not finish up until about nine weeks after surgery. In that time you can run in my honor, let me know how your runs go, and allow me to smile as I read about all the fun everyone else is having out there pounding the pavement or traipsing around on the trails.
Sign Love at the Chicago Marathon from Jenny, Jay, & Kids
My friend Rose created a challenge on DailyMile where everyone runs or walks at least one mile tomorrow. If you're on DailyMile and would like to join, visit the challenge page here:
Rumor Has It Mokie Signs Equal Race PRs!
(Congrars Elena!)
(Congrars Elena!)
Miles for Mokie
You can also join the Miles for Mokie page that my friends Tara and Trasie made. They have invited people to log their miles between October 8 - 28th. I was in the middle of training for the Marine Corps Marathon (my 19th full!) when this all happened, and sadly I will not be able to run on October 28th. I'm happy to say that Amy (Executive Director of Girls on the Run San Diego) will be running in my place, and I can't wait to cheer Tara, Amy, Allison, and Christina on from afar. I know you ladies will kick a**!
Join the Miles for Mokie page here: https://www.facebook.com/MilesForMokie
Aloha Miles from Christina in Hawaii
Support GOTRSD
My Girls on the Run friends who are training for the Marine Corps Marathon have created a fundraising page in my honor. Please consider making a contribution to their fundraising to help support an organization near and dear to my heart.
Their fundraising page: http://www.active.com/donate/sdsolemates/TBaize1
GOTRSD Miles for Mokie Love from Maria
(Outfit made extra special by her Glam Runner tutu!)
(Outfit made extra special by her Glam Runner tutu!)
Stay Positive
My final request is that everyone stay positive. Positivity is contagious, and by looking at the glass half full all the time, you encourage others to open their eyes and see things the same way. I am EXTREMELY scared about everything going on. I'm afraid of the surgery, I'm afraid of recovery, I'm afraid of radiation and chemo, and quite honestly I'm afraid of dying young. Dwelling on this will not do me any good though, and I'd like to focus on looking forward to the future, not looking down in despair. I will do everything I can to stay positive, and I hope you will too.
Future Marathoner Little Cousin Lauren
Tomorrow will be a big day. Please send your prayers.











10 comments:
Monika, I am sending love and prayers your way. You are so strong, and you will come through this with flying colors. Please let me know if there's ever anything you need. Standing by you!
I send my thoughts your way! You are strong both physically and mentally and you will do great!
*hug*
Thinking of you today -- and logging my (walking) miles! Love, hugs, prayers all coming your and your family's way!
I just got caught up on your story last night. Praying for you today! God is with you and will fight your battles--just be courageous :)
Praying and hoping and staying positive for you! I have not once thought that you won't get through this - I KNOW YOU WILL!
Sending prayers and logging miles for you. You'll be back and running in no time.
Hi Monika,
You don't know me at all, and I didn't know about you at all until today. I subscribe to, and love reading "runner's rambles" and "26 and then some" and both have been touched by a friend's bad news, and today Paige posted the link that explains it all.
I am a random person from South Africa, but I want you to know you are 110% in my thoughts. I missed your surgery (yesterday), but I am thinking of your recovery in ICU today, and sending all the strength I possibly can.
I have watched someone else (won't reveal who to the interwebs!)go through the same phone-call, fear, pain, surgery, ICU, recovery. It is sickening, and scary for the loved ones too. But you are NOT ALONE. And even if you are scared you ARE brave, and you ARE courageous and you are so very STRONG.
Being focused will get you through. And your loved ones will help in every way they can. And if it makes any difference at all, across on entirely different continents what you are going though resonates so strongly with a stranger it has punched me in the stomach and distracted me all day.
Speedy recovery. Stay focused. You are so strong.
Thinking of you! You are so much stronger than you know.
Sending my prayers your way.
Wishing you a fast recovery! I had no idea Monika! This last weekend I saw a bunch of runners at the Long Beach Marathon wearing shirts with "Miles for Mokie" signs. I am praying for you! <3
Post a Comment