headerphoto

Lunafest 2013

Last Thursday I had the honor of being the guest speaker at the Lunafest film festival here in San Diego. Lunafest is a traveling film festival with short films by women, about women, and for women. The event is held all over the country and in each city they partner with a local charity. Girls on the Run San Diego has been fortunate enough to be the San Diego partner for 4 years now! Proceeds from each event are split between the Breast Cancer Fund and the local charity. Each year there is a guest speaker who opens the event, and the first year we hosted the event we had Ironman champion Michelli Jones. The idea of following in her footsteps was exciting but a bit terrifying. 


Being a GOTR Coach Means.....
"sharing my love of running with others"
"being awesome"


I am not the most confident public speaker even though I've had my share of the stage over the years in my professional career giving presentations and doing sales training. I do my best if I practice, practice, practice, so that is what I did to prepare for this. I put together a slideshow to go along with my talk, because hey - a picture is worth a thousand words. I then practice the speech to myself over and over again on the train to and from work. I'm sure I was the mumbling weirdo over in the corner with a Hello Kitty lunch bag. Oh well, it worked! 


David Joined the Estrogen Festival for Moral Support
(He was one of four men out of 150 women)


I was pretty nervous starting out but relaxed a little as I got into things. I only messed up a couple times when I forgot which slide was coming next. If you have 10 minutes to spare, you can watch my talk about running, cancer, and Girls on the Run.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...