Let me start with a disclaimer that I'm by no means a trail running expert ... but I run 4-5 days a week on moderately hilly (and urban) trails and have completed 4 trail races to date. (10K, 15K, 10K, and a half marathon) My most recent race was a trail half marathon (my first one!), and after the race I had several email discussions about trail running that lead me to put together a list of my own tips for surviving a trial run.
Tip #1 - Review the Course
I'm guilty of registering for a race and not looking up the course route or profile on the website, and then arriving race day 'waiting to see what the course brings' ... and then being majorly annoyed by a course I hate. Most courses these days have maps of the course and a course elevation profile. If they don't (thank you Internet), there's a good Chance you can find one online from a runner who has previously run the race. Review the course so you won't be surprised come race day.
Tip #2 - Train for the Course
Is the course hilly? Is the terrain rough? If you have never run on rough or hilly terrain, the race will be MISERABLE for you! I have always hated hills and was forced into hill training a year ago when I moved to a house on the top of a hill that led down to my trail. Its fun on the way down, not so much on the way up. After walking (and grumbling) up the hill for several weeks, I finally decided it was time to conquer running up a hill. I made very slow (and unhappy) progress, but over time I improved. If you are planning on racing on a hilly course, train for it beforehand or you will not enjoy the race.
Tip #3 - Set Realistic Goals
I'm guilty of hoping every race is a PR. In reality this isn't going to happen. Every course varies - from direction to elevation to course support to aid stations to weather. One race can't be always be compared to another based on distance. I think trail races in general can't be compared to each other. Who knows what terrain you'll encounter! If you are doing a trail race for the first time your goal shouldn't be to beat your time on that same distance on a flat course. It just isn't reasonable. Maybe your goal can be your PR plus a buffer, or maybe your goal is to just run the whole race regardless of pace.
Tip #4 - Dress Accordingly
I've only done a few trail races, but each time I'm shocked by how much the temperature can vary from start to finish and from the peaks to the valleys. Dressing in layers is the best way to accommodate fluctuating temperatures. I love my Asics sleeve warmers and find that they're a great way to alternate between "long sleeve" and short sleeve. Sometimes I wear gloves as well and find them easy to just carry for the rest of a run or tuck into my waist band. Check the weather for the area that the race is in beforehand, and listen to the race directors suggestions for attire. If they say you're going to need to carry water since it "can get hot", prepare for cool temperatures that can really heat up.
Tip #5 - Carry Water
Don't rely on aid stations at a trail race. They're usually sparse and if you're not used to running on a trial you might need more water than usual. Carry your own water and refill at the aid stations.
Tip #6 - Don't Litter
In bigger race it (seems) okay to drop a gel packet on the ground and keep running. On a trail it just isn't right. Carry your garbage until the next garbage can. On a normal street there's a good chance that stray litter will be swept or picked up by someone cleaning the grounds. On a trail that most likely won't happen.
Tip #7 - Eyes on the Ground
If you are running on rocky, uneven ground keep your eyes on the ground!! Scan the ground for rocks to avoid stepping on and have a mental plan for each footstep. I spent my last trail race constantly scanning the ground to determine the best place to step. This was totally exhausting ... but I never tripped or fell. After reading the Yelp reviews of the course it sounds like many others weren't so lucky.
Tip #8 - Drink From the Side
If you are carrying water (per Tip #5) at some point you'll probably want to drink while you're running. If you stop to walk and drink then great! If not and you want to drink on the run, resist the urge to put the bottle to your mouth and tip it up with your eyes to the sky. Is there possibly a better invitation for tripping?? Put the bottle to the side of your mouth and tip your head sideways so you can get the water in while keeping your eyes on the ground. (Tip #7)
Tip #9 - Push Branches Out of the Way
Not all trails are perfectly groomed. There will be many instances where a branch might extend into the trail., right in an area where it will smack into your face. If you see a branch or brush coming up that looks like it will hit your face, prepare by putting your hand out to prepare to push it away. Believe me, after being slapped in the face by many branches and leaves, one hand out in the Heisman is necessary!
Tip #10 - Enjoy the Downhills
In hilly trail runs there are uphills and there are downhills. If you labor UP the hills, enjoy going DOWN the hills. Let gravity do its work and enjoy heading down with less effort. Keep your heel strike even and continue to look where you're about to land. I find running down a trail to be one of the most fun parts of trail racing.
And .... I was going to give 10 tips but I have one more.
Tip #11 - Have Fun!
Remember that episode of Friends where Phoebe and Rachel go running together?
Have fun while you run! I grew up in a city and love the city life, but even I can enjoy nature and a trail run. Take the time to enjoy getting to run on a natural trail. Enjoy your time outside and appreciate the course and the weather and the city you are in. Have fun! Isn't that why you signed up?













3 comments:
Great post! I'd love to do some trail races. We have a few good ones here.
Really fun and helpful post!
Love this post Monika! And love trail running more than other type of running. Varied terrain is beautiful, provides sense of adventure and is stimulating yet relaxing at all the same time!
Post a Comment