Last year I timidly entered the world of triathlon after spending years swearing that a triathlon was something I'd never do. At this rate, I might be eating cheese any one of these days! Haha - EWE! I did my first mini-sprint triathlon in October (more on my blog: Fearless Triathlon - I Did It!) and WON first overall female! Next I did a sprint triathlon in November (more on my blog: Triathlon #2 - The Sprint) with the San Diego Tri Club and got smoked by the pros. Sadly, I managed to enter the sport right as the season was ending, so I focused my energy back on running for the winter months.
For 2011, my triathlon goal was to work my way up to an Olympic distance triathlon, and hopefully the following year I could do a 70.3. I have my eyes on Barb's Race in Napa Valley! I initially considered going for Barb's Race this year, but unfortunately it is the same weekend as the San Francisco Marathon where I'll be running the full course as one of their ambassadors.
2011 Goals
I have a pretty loaded running calendar for this year to prepare myself for the SF Marathon in July and my 'warm-up' marathon the OC Marathon in May. Its been difficult to figure out where to insert the triathlons. Marathon training requires 4-5 days of running per week, where am I going to squeeze in my swims and bike rides? Ugh! I want to do the San Diego Triathlon Classic in September (my friend Todd did this tri this past year, more on my blog Watching a Tri), and figured that a couple shorter distances beforehand would be good for me. After reviewing a ton of triathlons mostly in Southern California, but all over the sate and even across the country, I decided that my triathlons for this year would be:
1 - Super Seal - March 27
2 - San Diego International Tri - June 26th
3 - San Diego Classic Triathlon - Sept 17th
The distances for these races are:
1 - 500m swim, 20K bike, 6K run
2 - 1000m swim, 30K bike, 10K run
3 - 1500m swim, 40K bike, 10K run
I feel that this is a reasonable progression, and will prime me for the next jump from Olympic Distance to 70.3 next year.
So Cal Triathlons
In case you are also considering a triathlon in this coming year, here's a list of races that I considered that you might want to look into:
Feb 20 - Tritonman
Registration Fee: $55
Distance: 500m swim/12k bike/5k run
Mar 27 - Super Seal (Registered!)
Registration Fee: $80
Sprint Distance: 500m/20k/6k
International Distance: 1500m swim/ 40K bike/10K run
May 1st Spring Sprint Triathlon
Registration Fee: $75 by Feb 15th
Distance: 400m/9mile/3mile
May 15th Encinitas Sprint Triathlon
Registration Fee: $85/$75 until Apr 18
Sprint Distance: 750m/20k/5k
Super Sprint Distance: 375m/10k/2.5k
Registration Fee: $125 until Feb 16
International Distance: 1000m/30k/10k
Sprint Distance: 500m/20k/6k $100 until Feb 16
Jul 10 - Carlsbad Triathlon
Registration Fee: $100 by Jul 1
Distance: 1000m/25k/5k
Jul 14 - Solana Beach Triathlon
Registration Fee: $80 by May 1st
Distance: 400m/9mile/3mile
Aug 21 - Surf Town Triathlon
Registration Fee: $75 by Jul 1
Distance: 500m/15K/5k
Registration Fee: $155
Distance: 1500m/40K/10K
Oct 2 Mission Bay Triathlon
Registration Fee: $80 until Jun 1
Distance: 600m/15K/5K
I'm looking forward to all of the races I have lined up for this year, and can't wait to become more of a triathlete!


4 comments:
You sound pumped!! I'm looking forward to reading your race reports. I'd "tri" but I cannot cycle for the life of me. It's actually embarrassing!!
Thanks! I'm excited! After 6 years of marathons its nice to go for a new challenge. I fell twice on my first attempt to clip into my road bike. Can't say cyling is going my way yet :oP
I went in for a fitting to see if I could improve comfort on my long rides. The short story it's not going to happen with my bike. I'll probably be buying a road bike sooner or later.
Todd - I thought you have a road bike? B&L Bikes in Point Loma where I bought my bike (on sale) still has other 2010 models on sale. You should check them out!
Post a Comment